2009/11/11

Quite frankly warticki, you should apologize!

(edited to remove stronger words, no need for that and I apologize to my readers)

Here we go. I already expected this...

A perfect example of the low-life, unprofessional, kind of people that populate Oracle Support nowadays.

chris - if that is indeed your name:

1- With the exception of a lonely voice, there has not been ONE SINGLE POSITIVE user community comment about the utter disaster that was the Oracle MOS migration.

2- It's Oracle who performed and managed that migration. Not your "vocal clueless".

3- The "vocal clueless" happen to be your PAYING Oracle CUSTOMERS. If nothing else, that should deserve a little bit more professional courtesy than your silly post.

4-The "vocal clueless" hold singly and severaly a lot more responsibility and have a lot more single and collective knowledge of Oracle-the-company and Oracle-the-RDBMS than your kind will ever amass in a lifetime of similar, childish, "kewl" posts.


In a nutshell: your intervention with your blog post perfectly demonstrates and proves better than anything else the community could point out, the complete and utter lack of ANY professional respect and courtesy that some have brought to Oracle-the-company.


Oh, and just in case you opt to use some nonsense "dba1.0" comment: I have been using the new interface for months now, as requested by Oracle support. It was working fine - although not very useful - until this past weekend.

By the way, have you "geniuses" figured out yet how to allow your users to change their registered email? You know: folks sometimes change email and they might want to continue to use their interface without going through the pains of registering a totally new user - and losing their current customisations and bookmarks!


Hint: you need to use synthetic keys in your db design, as opposed to natural ones. Google it up. Familiar with the concept of "db design"? One would hope so...


It is high time people like you - and there are a lot of them now in Oracle - got called on your totaly unprofesional attitude and your complete lack of respect for your clients.


I really hope you lose your job as a result of that silly post, because quite frankly: that is precisely what you richly deserve!


But knowing full well the totally irresponsible attitude of Oracle Support's middle management, I fully expect you to be at the receiving end of the "ace of the year" or some other equally irrelevant "professional" award.


Which speaks volumes for the kind of respect those "awards" richly deserve from the user community at large. And what true professionals think of them.


I lost count of the number of direct emails I received mentioning replies sent as a result of your post, which you didn't have the courage to put up.


Well consider this my reply, because I'll never again read or use any blog remotely associated with the likes of you.



In summary, and I'm sure others will chip-in in the following days: you have been unprofessional and disrespectful and you did a total disservice to the company you work for.

(/edited to remove stronger words, no need for that and I apologize to my readers)










Now that the platitudes have been disposed with, let's go back to happier things...
From my small and humble tribute to Max Dupain's style:

"Biding her time" (thanks, Jared!)



"a place for the entire family"



"weighing the options"



I particularly like the last one: it was one of those "moments" of photography. Haven't seen folks considering a dive into a running milk shaker since then! ;)

Catchyalata, folks!

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris W said...

To all Oracle Customers, I do apologize for any misinterpretation I may have caused in that blog entry.

As you have just read, I do accept responsibility and accountability for my actions.

Please understand that my intent was not to insult anyone. The purpose was to draw attention, call to action for the training and to add some humor to what most view as bland blogging.

I'm happy that everyone is getting their frustrations out, even if I need to wear kevlar. I have thick skin. I can take it. I know that you're upset at the portal not the person, the UI and not the individual, and the portal performance not the personal performance. I know that Oracle's leadership is reading, listening and responding.

I have always been FOR the customer. Many of you know that.

-Chris Warticki (yes, it's really me)

Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:23:00 am  
Blogger Robyn said...

Hey Nuno,

I agree. It was a totally unprofessional post and it does illustrate the difference in the quality of people working Oracle support these days. They used to be so helpful and curious about finding the answers. I seldom use them anymore. If it doesn't require a patch, I can find the answers faster using other sources.

As for MOS, what bugs me most is the assumption that I have the time and the interest to go through those idiotic training screens after downloading flash and adobe junk I don't need just to use a support tool. One of the biggest mistakes that IT makes is assuming the users are as interested in our specific technology as we are. If a tool is easy to use, works well and makes a job easier to accomplish, people use it. Otherwise, they avoid it. 'Field of Dreams' development, but if the field sucks, the players will go elsewhere.

On to more interesting things: the pictures are gorgeous. When did you take them? They have a timeless feel to them that is really beautiful and, I would think, difficult to capture.

cheers ... Robyn

Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:55:00 am  
Blogger Noons said...

@Chris:

It's not up to me to accept the apology, Chris. I didn't complain loudly about MOS until this week.

Like I said: I've been using it for months now. It was usable although not very useful and very buggy.

Your post insulted clients across the board, not me. Apologize to them. It's up to them to accept it. Or not, as the case may be.

Besides now that your "intelligence police" has summarily removed my blog from all the Oracle aggregators, what are you people afraid of?

Oh, the Internet at large is a slightly harder place to control? Dang...



@Robyn:
Thanks. I couldn't have said it better myself.

You know what is the most popular system in our organization? A "character-mode", JDE application written using archaic AS400 technology. Voted by far the most liked application across the company, world-wide.

Why?

It works without fuss, does the job without silly decorations, and gets out of their way fast.

If only someone responsible listened, instead of trying to ram down our throats the immensely inneficient dross that is application development using these "advanced technologies"...

One wonders how come Oracle is using a third party product to write an in-house application for its customers?

What's the matter, "fusion" or Apex not good enough?

And of all products, they pick Adobe's. A company that just fired another bunch of employees and is in serious economic difficulties.

Obviously some insider trading going on. I fully expect Oracle to buy Flash or even Adobe in the next few months!




Now, the important stuff.

Max Dupain was a famous local photographer with an extensive portfolio on Sydney's Northern beaches. I love his work and am slowly building up my own tribute to his work, along similar lines.

These photos were taken with a very old formulation b&W film called Adox CMS20, developed in a special brew called Technidol.

Adox is a company that specializes in producing old film formulations with modern materials.

It's a very slow film and needs lots of light but fortunately that is not a problem in a beach!

The resulting look scans into gorgeous, "old-style" looking photos that evoke very nostalgic feelings when viewed in a modern monitor. And they result in magnificent prints with most modern inkjet photo printers.

I've been researching ways of reproducing the old master's "look and feel" using modern materials and techniques and this combination is one of the best. There are others.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:34:00 am  
Blogger Yury said...

Nuno – I do have just a single word to say: R E S PE C T !
This is one of the situations when one M A N makes so big difference.

If Chris Warticki's blog represents Oracle Corporation in whole MOS story (and I am sure it does to some extend as it only available Oracle voice so far) your yesterday’s post just turned the Monster other way around. Instead of publishing "blue sky" posts to make management even happier Oracle accepted the problem today and started to cooperate with the community in the way to should from the beginning. Let's hope they will keep it in that way.

I hope very much that Chris will not lose his job, as his just recognized that he was wrong. He has is brave enough to admit that and is doing as much as possible to help Oracle Community today. I don’t think that he is a B A D guy. I have got an impression that he was flying in the same "blue sky" as his post before today. Let's hope that he will keep his position and will not be replaced by another guy from the blue sky :)

Once again: R E S P E C T and T H A N K Y O U !

Yury

Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:23:00 pm  
Blogger Noons said...

@Yury

Yeah buddy, I do regret that this happened. But there is a limit to how many derogatory and deriding comments the community as a whole can take.

We already had the "dba1.0" nonsense, in which apparently an experienced professional is portrayed as an incompetent.

Now we have "clueless" as well added to it? And the other niceties?

I've said it many times: respect is a two way street. Want to be respected? Try respecting others.

Anyways, let's move on. Otherwise SQL Server and db2 will catch up, and those are not fun at all!...

For anyone reading: Yury and a few other Pythian folks run the Sydney Oracle Meetup. Alex Gorbachev also from Pythian started it all back in April 2009.

We meet regularly to discuss technical subjects: development, design or dba related.

No marketing nonsense: just pure, technical, geek goodness.

Join us, it's worth your time. And it's free.

I'll add a link to the Meetup site to my blog fixed area.

Friday, November 13, 2009 12:29:00 am  
Blogger Yury said...

Nothing to regret Nuno!

You did a right thing indeed.
I think you represented many Oracle Users voice in that case. And that voice has been heard by Oracle!

Once again very well done!

PS See you today and have a very good Friday 13th :)

Yury

Friday, November 13, 2009 8:20:00 am  
Blogger Joel Garry said...

Another link.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:41:00 pm  
Blogger Noons said...

Ah yes, the PC World mob!

Apparently incapable of speeling my surname correctly. All they had to do was cut&paste from the front page of the blog.

How truly web 2.0!...

I'll never cease to be amazed at the total irresponsibility of some of the online news places.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:49:00 pm  
Blogger Joel Garry said...

Wartiki blog gone now.

word: puckinfe

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:43:00 am  
Blogger Noons said...

@jgar:
Ah well, I fully expect a bunch of lame apologists no one ever heard of to now claim it was a great loss...

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:11:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home